Position Number: 012642
Department: Student Union Activities & Rec(Adm)
Employment Type: Permanent - Full-time
Months Per Year: 12
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Assistant Director for Outreach and Marketing position is an integral part of the ongoing functions of the Recreational Services Department, as this person is responsible for leading the department's comprehensive marketing program. The Assistant Director for Outreach and Marketing must provide a strategic and integrated approach to effectively promote, market, execute and evaluate departmental programs and services; provide leadership and direction for all marketing and promotions efforts for Recreational Services; and provide assessment feedback for marketing efforts and refine, improve and enhance future marketing strategies. In addition, this position will be accountable for contributing to a positive, friendly work environment that encourages, enhances and demonstrates collaboration, teamwork and professionalism among staff, students and patrons on a daily basis. He/she will direct and administer services for students, faculty and staff that create a safe, positive environment and enhance students' educational experiences inside and outside of the classroom.
The Assistant Director for Outreach and Marketing is responsible for the following:
-Advances the Recreational Services brand through managing the visual presence of the department including the website, social media, digital screens, emails, newsletters, information tables, etc.
-Advances the Recreational Services brand through managing message of healthy lifestyle education and promotion through the services and programs offered to the campus community by the Department of Recreational Services.
-Works with the Rec. Services professional staff to develop and ensure up-to-date information for programs, events, services, and facilities.
-Responsible for the design of marketing materials such as displays and promotional giveaway items.
-Serves as a liaison for the department with SUAR Marketing when designing departmental publications such as flyers, posters, brochures, etc.
-Assists with departmental assessment via creating and administering surveys and leading focus groups.
-Serves as the lead for the departments’ Special Events including Rec Fest during Week of Welcome and National Recreational Sports & Fitness Day, including securing vendors and/or sponsorships.
-Secures sponsorships for the departments 49er Gold Rush 5K and the Golf Tournament.
-Responds to requests for sponsorships and advertising, maintains both on and off-campus partnerships, and serves as a resource for the campus community.
-Supervises 8 to 10 undergraduate Promo Members including recruiting, training, managing, developing, and evaluating the marketing staff.
-Coordinates photography and videography for the department and manages storage and access to these files.
-Serves as the lead for the departments Fall and Spring Student Staff Appreciation Celebrations.
-Responsible for departmental representation at fairs including SOAR, Explore, etc.
-Manages marketing budget, inventory, policies, and guidelines.
-Communicates with diverse populations both on and off campus. Must deal with the general public, the University community, volunteer groups, businesses/corporations and professionals.
Minimum Experience / Education:
- Master's degree in Business Marketing, Sports Administration, Leisure/Recreation or Physical Education, College Student Personnel or related field
- 3 or more years of related professional experience
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work well in groups, collaborate with others and embrace diversity
- Experience supervising student staff
- Demonstrated experience with fiscal management of a comprehensive promotional program
- Knowledge of an integrated and/or strategic marketing planning process, effective data analysis, and market research experience essential to be effective
- Leadership and customer service skills are key attributes of this person
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrated working knowledge of Mac, MS Office suite and Adobe Creative Suite
- Demonstrated working knowledge of various social media (i.e. Twitter, Snap Chat, Instagram, Facebook, etc.) and web related software such as Drupal or similar
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends as needed
- CPR/AED/First Aid Certification
Preferred Education Skills and Experience:
- Professional experience specifically in a campus recreation, wellness center, health or student affairs environment on a college campus
- Experience managing social media accounts on behalf of an organization or business
- Demonstrated ability to utilize design, project management and content management software effectively
- Basic knowledge of design principles and photography/videography
- Passion for recreation and wellness
- Comfortable with Public Speaking
- Fundraising/Sponsorship experience
- CPR and First Aid instructor Certification
- NIRSA CRSS or RCRSP